6.04.2013

the inaugural cake.

today is a milestone of sorts. today is a sign of things to come. today is a blessing, and certainly not the kind that's in disguise.

the past couple years have flown by, like a bunch of tornadoes quickly sweeping through, stirring everything i thought was in its place and strewn it disparagingly across the landscape that remains loosely intact. life as i knew it changed quite dramatically (for slow and steady, hands-always-on-the-steering-wheel me anyway). i learned alot about myself during those times. about my patience and my strength. about forgiveness and love. about inner peace and confidence, or lack there of. i also learned about my passions, what truly moved me and pulled at my heartstrings and equally as important, what didn't carry as much weight to me. i owned up to a lot of demons and faced many of my fears. i learned that being human is all about living, making mistakes, learning to laugh at yourself, letting yourself cry, moving on, letting go and continuing to dream/smile/learn/love despite the trials. but best of all, i learned that life goes on and that happy is a state of mind. there is always light at the end and there is always room for growth.

so back to today. it has been an unbelievable journey for me, but today is a step towards the future. my future. a light stroke of the brush across the vast starchy white canvas that i speak of. for those of you that follow me on facebook or instagram (and if not, add me!), you know that food is a large part of my life. a small seed of a dream was planted in my head somewhere between college and now. the dream sprouted from an unintentional discovery of my love for the kitchen: cooking, baking, serveware, gadgets, cookbooks, even the science behind it all. i think most of this passion came from the huge sense of community it brings to my family and friends, the happiness that permeates the room when we convene for family dinners, the realization that homecooked meals are simply heartwarming and well, the continuing amazement that these two hands made it happen. i did that. it is one of the ways to repay the gratitude i have for the unconditional love and support of my loved ones. because without them, today will not happen. BUT today that small seedling of a dream pushed itself out from the depths of soil through the surface and got a glimpse of the sun:

i had a request. i baked love into a cake. i put it in a simple white box. i delivered it. and there was an exchange...




it may seem like a tiny step, but it is a step nonetheless. it is a step towards an accidental dream, but those are the best kinds, aren't they? the ones you never expected. right now, it's still in its early stages, call it a seedling, a soft opening, whatever it is, whatever this will become, it is coming and i'm going let it organically grow. 

so to my life that seems to keep on going even if my legs cant catch up, i say bring it. thank you for paving the way white chocolate buttermilk cake. you are my inaugural cake. 



you are my absolute favorite cake to eat and make. you are tender crumbed and complex without being pretentious. you somehow manage to look homemade yet exude delicacy with your pillowy creme fraiche-whipped cream filling and fresh summer berries.  it is so fitting that you lead the way. yearn for the skies! onward, ho! 

ps. for those who are interested with requests of your own. please contact me here for pricing and other information.

5 comments:

  1. You will get aplenty when I move there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS ANN!

    As a person that struggles sometimes following through with the things I love, I found it so inspiring to read through and am very excited for you! I can't wait to see how everything unravels! I hope you sell many more cakes and bake a thousand things more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for stopping in, Sydney! i am excited bc of your excitement! XOXO.

      Delete
  3. my favorite cake of yours too! hehe. i can't wait until you open a shop ;)

    ReplyDelete